Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hardware List for My Current Hackintosh "Ivy"

This list is basically the final product of my hackintosh build IVY. Extremely satisfied with every component of this system.

GA Z77X UP4 TH - I went with this Mobo over the up5 because I was concerned about having issues with hardware compatibility especially around the up5's built in WiFi card. I am still very glad I did not chose the up5. Yes the up4 has a couple of issues that the up5 does not, but I was able to solve everything except the USB problem over first few days of having the system up and running. None of the bugs were detrimental to the system.

Core i7-3770K - Initially I went with the i5-3570K but then upgrade to the i7 around 6 months later. Computer sales reps are able to register with Intel's online product info portal, through which sales reps have access all Intel's product info as well as insanely discount Intel hardware. Insane like the i7-3770K cost me $95, current consumer price being $360. Just couldn't say no. So I sold the 3570K for $180 on ebay. BTW, Talk about Intel's technology holding value, I had bought this CPU for $199 which was the full price.

Ge-force GT 640 - I don't game at all and just wanted 3 screen capability. I'm not one for performance overkill.

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Vengeance 8+8 - went with the 8+8 so that in the future if I so wanted I would be able to upgrade to the Mobo mac of 32Gb with another two 8Gb DDR3's. But i don't currently nor do i think I'll ever need more than 8-10GBs of ram so I am more than content with the 16GB.

Intel 330 SSD 120GB - Start-up disk, which required a few hacks to get operational but these things are so fast that i was able to use trial and error for finding the best settings and hacks. With a boot time of around 15 seconds it took me no time to test the 8 to 10 booting option I wanted to test first hand. It took me about 10 minutes to try 10 different boot disk hacks and find what works best for my system.

A second (Clone) Intel 330 120GB SSD - This is to run as a clone of the start disk so that i have a fail-safe for when I'm testing new hacks or installing OS x updates. Sometime a hack will disrupt the bootloader or corrupt something else to make the hard disk unbootable, like if you reboot and for whatever reason get the Boot0 error screen. This error cannot be fixed through reverting in time machine, so having an exact copy Intel 330 120GBof the start-up disk when it was functional is the only way to be sure that the start-up disk is back-up in entirety.

Barracuda Hard Drive 1TB 7200 - This disk is what must be use for the initial set up the OS x installation. Once this installation was stable I did a transfer to an Intel 330 SSD hard drive and dedicated this disk to be used for time machine's backups.
I have my system fully updated to the latest OSx version OSx v10.8.3.

I hope my comments posted alongside my hardware can help other users to question progress for progresses sake upgrading. At the end of your build how content are you with the outcome. Never stop hacking and re-hacking until you get every little component functioning precisely how you want!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Having trouble getting the tonymac unibeast link working
    www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up Greg? Do you still have your rig? I happen to have the same hardware as you except I'm using an 8gb ddr3 an NVidia 750 ti 2gb gpu. I want to know if you ever updated your hack to high sierra. I'm running latest high sierra now but my usb ports in the back aren't working.

    ReplyDelete